Subject: Re: rescued microvax ii and cdc fsd disk yesterday
To: Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/2007 00:38:42
On Jun 30, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Kim Hawtin wrote:
> One of our local unix gurus is moving house and decided to lighten the
> load a little, so i am the proud new owner of another microvax ii.
>
> Its in the tall skinny tower case, (my other microvax ii is in a
> ba-123)
> but I'm not sure yet what the case is.. it looks a lot like this one;
>  http://www.reputable.com/~skywriter/mention/00UVAX.jpg

   That is a BA23.

   It looks like a very nice system overall.  I really, really like
those drives.  Good luck with the system.

> CDC  	 9715-515  	 FSD SMD DISK DRIVE
>
> Some photos here; http://picasaweb.google.com/kimhawtin/MicrovaxIi
>
> Any thoughts on things to do before firing them up?
> Do they need to be warm or cold to spin up?

   If the system is very cold or very warm relative to its new
location, allow it to acclimate to the temperature and humidity of
the room before you fire it up.  You mainly want to avoid condensation.

> Greg was talking about 'stiction' in one of the drives for his Tandem,
> yesterday, but I'm not sure if this is a problem for the CDC?

   The 9715 shouldn't have stiction problems.  Well, at least I've
never heard of a 9715 having such problems.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL