Subject: Re: rescued microvax ii and cdc fsd disk yesterday
To: Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/01/2007 00:34:37
On Jun 30, 2007, at 11:36 PM, Kim Hawtin wrote:
>>> Its in the tall skinny tower case, (my other microvax ii is in a
>>> ba-123) but I'm not sure yet what the case is.. it looks a lot like
>>> this one; http://www.reputable.com/~skywriter/mention/00UVAX.jpg
>>
>> That's the case I learnt to call the BA-23.
>
> ah, so theres a series of BS-x23 cases then?

   Not so much a series...but the BA23 and BA123 do share some
similarities.  The internal DEC prototypes of the BA123 ("woody
boxes") were actually built from mostly BA23 parts, including the
backplane and power supply.  The production BA123 was very different.

>>> How does one get the rear cover off?
>>
>> It's been a while, but I think you just pull.  There's a weird
>> sort of
>> semi-velcro-ish plastic pressure fastener that holds it on.  (If you
>> want to make sure you don't pull too hard, put it front down and
>> try to
>> pick it up by the back of the case.  If my memory is right, the back
>> will come off before you pick up the rest of the machine by it.)
>
> Ok, I'll go give that a try =)

   This is correct...they're held on by strange snap connectors that
work similarly to velcro.  It might be quite tough to remove; just
give it a little force and it will be fine.  Be advised, however,
that there are open rectangular handles underneath the front and rear
that are designed to be used as lifting points.  They're actually a
part of the main outer case, not the front or rear covers...but If
you just reach into the hole in the bottom of the front or rear and
start pulling, you'll be pulling against those handles and you won't
get anywhere.  You need to pull on the body of the front and rear
covers.  You'll see how all that works when you get one of the covers
off and look at the main plastic case.

               -Dave

--
Dave McGuire