Subject: Re: Yay! VAX working VERY well
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/15/2007 19:34:38
On Wed, 16 May 2007, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> Curious qustion: why? After all, the shared library stuff was fixed at the
> same time as a bunch of problems with both gcc and other parts. Is really
> even possible to pull up all the other fixes without getting the ability to
> also build shared libraries again?

   Fixing the problems only required a few (9) pullups, and since I had
found some of them, and had been testing all the fixes, I knew pretty much
which commits were involved and could test each one before requesting the
pullups.

   The shared library changes are in around 50 commits, many involving more
than one file.  I am not one who would blindly request pullups on all of
those changes without verifying that they all patch cleanly.

> Or is it just a question of not having the build system build this?
> I would be less surprised if netbsd-4 were to be still broken for VAX, since
> there was quite a few things not working right a month or so ago.

   I have built netbsd-4 on an amd64 build system, updated my 4000/90A
using that build, doing a tools build and GENERIC kernel build on the vax
and booted the resulting kernel.  That covers most of the problems I've
encountered.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant