Subject: Re: Problems with my 8650...
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/15/2007 00:47:38
--------------010009060107010304050302

Hmm. It appears there is something causing conflicts in the Generic kernel.
I built one with only the specifics for the machine I have, and that
kernel detects everything and boots fine.
The previous 3.99.15 kernel was also specifically tailored to the
hardware, so this might be a problem that have been around for a long time.

Another thing I noticed was that boot have become broken. It causes a
severe machine check followed by a full cpu snapshot generated. The boot
from 3.99.15 works fine.

	Johnny

Johnny Billquist skrev:
> Yes, it's a real 8650. And yes, I have problems. :)
> I've been keeping the machine off for some time, but recently decided to
> play with it again. Built a new kernel and booted it, but here comes
> trouble.
>
> The hardware is as follows:
>
> 3 Unibuses.
> uba0 have one UDA50 and one DELUA.
> uba1 have nothing
> uba2 have one UDA50 and one TU81.
>
> The TU81 don't have a drive attached to it, so it won't initialize.
> The machine boots 3.99.15 just fine. It detects the UDA50 (both of
> them), and the DELUA.
> -current from a week ago don't boot fine. It fires up and everything
> looks good. However, during the autoconf stage it fails to identify the
> UDA50 on uba0. It identifies everything else just fine. However, since
> the system boot disk is on that UDA50 you can understand that it's not a
> happy system.
>
> I have been poking around a little, but perhaps someone who knows the
> innards of a few things here can help me out. Otherwise I'll have to dig
> through a lot more of the innards I'm not that familiar with.
>
> What I have observed is that the configuration scanner notice that the
> UDA50 is there, and it starts the initialization steps on it. Slightly
> later I get an error on the unibus. The unibus error register says that
> I accessed an invalid map register. So far I'm following it. If we're
> trying to play with the UDA50 via an invalid unibus map register of
> course it will fail. Now, where are the unibus map registers set up, and
> why isn't it setup right? Since the UDA50 on uba2 works, it can't be a
> outright error, but something a bit more magic. Also, what Unibus access
> are we talking about? The first access to the CSR works fine, so it's
> something else. Interrupt?
>
> Ragge, you remember how this works, and feel like debugging? Anyone
> else? I can setup remote access to the console if that would help.
>
>     Johnny

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books

--------------010009060107010304050302