Subject: Re: hooking up a console
To: NetBSD/vax Discussion List <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: J Blaser <oldcpu@rogerwilco.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2007 14:19:16
Greg A. Woods wrote:
> At Mon, 26 Feb 2007 09:22:06 +1030,
> Kim Hawtin wrote:
>
>> Jim MacKenzie wrote:
>>
>>> The MMJ cable issue is the reason only one of my three VAXen is
>>> running right now.  I need to get a couple more.
>>>
>> i went down to my local electronics supply store, Jarcar and
>> bought a packet of RJ11's ...
>>

> I.e. You need all six contacts.  :-)

Just to follow up on comments from Billy and Greg...

When I was faced with this problem with my first VAX, I bought some
prebuilt cables (p/n 115617, and all of $2.19) from Jameco
(www.jameco.com), which provides the 6-position/6-contact RJ11(25) plug
on both ends, and is a 'straight-through' cable (that is, like this:
Plug===== Plug vs. the cross-over type Plug==x==Plug).  After snipping
off the tab/lug on the ends to fit the MMJ socket, these cables work great!

I don't remember the original post, but I'll just mention that when
using this cable with my VAXstation 3100m38, I had to set a switch (S3,
I think) on the main board (exposed on the rear panel of most 3100's
though mine didn't have the cutout) so that the console I/O was directed
to the MMJ serial port, instead of the graphics video port (DB-15).

Good luck!

J Blaser