Subject: Re: DEFQA spotted on ebay
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 10/03/2006 13:04:20
On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 08:33:58AM -0600, Jim MacKenzie wrote:
> >I didn't think qbus was even close to being able to sustain 100mbit.
>
> It's possible that it can't.  ISA isn't able to do 100Mbit either, but
> 3Com made a 100BaseTX card for the ISA bus (3c515).  It was faster
> than 10BaseT... so for some it was worthwhile.  Perhaps that's the
> case here?  (Idle speculation...)

I had heard about the 3com corkscrew, but didn't know about the DEFQA,
hence my amazement.

I think it's pretty nifty.

I assume the DEFQA is lower-overhead than the DEQNA/DELQA?  since qbus
was asynchronous, how fast could practically go?  (maybe you could get
100mbit?)

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt