Subject: timecounters and microtime on vax
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Garrett D'Amore <garrett_damore@tadpole.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/06/2006 16:31:17
I was looking at vax for timecounters recently, and I started asking
myself, how important is an accurate microtime() for this port anyway?

I don't know the answer to that.  But it would be nice if the port could
be converted.   The easy way is to just to #if 0 or remove microtime and
add __HAVE_TIMECOUNTERS to types.h.  This gets a timecounter that has
clock tick granularity (plus the monotonic guarantee), with minimal effort.

Alternatively, if someone wants to look at the hardware counters and
figure out how to convert them to timecounter requirements (wrap at an
even power of 2 being the most difficult), that would be nice too.

Of course we could always doe the first thing, and add better
timecounters back in later, if someone misses having a more accurate
microtime().

General Dynamics C4 Systems
http://www.tadpolecomputer.com/
Phone: 951 325-2134  Fax: 951 325-2191