Subject: re: microvax 1000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: None <rick@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/20/2006 11:20:30
> Someone on another list was asking about the microvax 1000, which has
> a matrox qg-640 card in it. Anyone here seen one of these. It has 2
> db-9 sockets on it. Any idea what monitor this would use and what os
> supported it ?

Sounds like a VAXstation 2000 to me. If I recall correctly, the two db9
connectors were async serial ports and one of them could be used as a
console (if you jumpered pins 1-9 on the connector plugged into it?).
I think there was also a db15 that had video, mouse and keyboard signals.
(The video would be rgb with the sync pulses composited on the g.)

Only OSs I know of that would work on it were the DEC ones (Ultrix and
some version of VMS).

Doogy dirt slow, even compared to a MicroVAXII. (Same CPU, put more
primitive I/O.)

It's main use was formatting RD5n drives, if you didn't have the DEC
diagnostic for the MicroVAXII. (It had a formatter in firmware that was
a reasonable substitute for the DEC diagnostic.) Since DEC would charge
$500 to come out and format drives for you, this was more significant than
it sounds.

Just an old piece of junk, rick
ps: I once had a partial port of BSD to it, but never finished it. I don't
    know if anyone else ever did a port.