Subject: Re: current vax cannot boot and lvalue casts in arch/vax/boot
To: Kirk Russell <kirk@ba23.org>
From: A. Wik <aw@aw.gs>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/13/2006 21:32:05
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006, Kirk Russell wrote:

> Last week, I tried building a -current VAX CDROM, with the new gcc setup,
> and I got about bunch of errors about the "use of cast expressions as
> lvalues".  This week, the errors are fixed in -current, but now the
> VAX CDROM doesn't boot.  I would guess some of the lvalue cast fixes
> might be the root cause of the booting issues.  For example, this
> lvalue fix to ra.c doesn't look correct to me?  I have enclosed my
> lvalue fixes for reference.  Any ideas?  Thanks!

I recall something about the GCC of NetBSD/vax being upgraded
recently, which would certainly explain the problem you mention -
there was an article regarding the same error message on
comp.os.msdos.djgpp (Usenet), and the issue was resolved as
an change present in newer versions of GCC.

How come there's such an apparent eagerness about upgrading GCC,
anyway?  Typically the only noticeable change from an older
version is the breakage of features and noticeable increases in
memory consumption and compilation time.

I've found the use of an older compiler (pcc) a more
refreshing experience.

-aw