Subject: Re: Disk image for VAXstation 4000
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Kim Hawtin <kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/28/2006 08:11:42
Jim MacKenzie wrote:
> From: "Asheesh Laroia" <asheesh@asheesh.org>
> > I recently inherited a working VAXstation 4000 with VMS on it, and I
> > wanted to give NetBSD a shot.  The system does not have a floppy
> > drive, so booting a NetBSD install floppy wouldn't help me.  Does
> > anyone on this list have a hard disk image I can try putting on a SCSI
> > disk inside it?
>
> You can network boot quite easily.  The installation instructions are
> reasonably clear, but if you have any difficulty, let me know and I can
> give you a hand.
>
> It works surprisingly well.  I wish I'd discovered network booting a
> long time ago.

I have just gone throught this process for a couple of Sun3s and still
working on it for my uVAXii .... its mostly documented and works well =)

I you want to save your copy of VMS on the machine you can netboot and
use a NFS root file system + swap (assuming you have another host you
can run NFS from and all the rarp, mopd, bootparams type services =)

regards,

Kim
--
Operating Systems, Services and Operations
kim.hawtin@adelaide.edu.au