Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/13/2006 20:50:27
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:02:34 +0000 (GMT)
"A. Wik" <aw@aw.gs> wrote:

> Sometimes I think it would be nice if NetBSD (and FreeBSD)
> still had BSD-style init-scripts.  But of course, that would
> look exceedingly primitive in comparison with state-of-the-art
> technologies such as the Microsoft(R) Windows(R) registry.
This comparison is really not apropriate, to by mild.
I really like the leanness of NetBSD, but I think the modularized rc.d
init stuff is a great improvement. It eases system administration big
time as (re)start/stop/... of individual subsystems is much easier and
uniform acros all subsystems. I allways feelt that the old "throw
everything into one giant sh-scrit BSD style" is a simple and primitive
quick hack because someone was too lazzy to come up with a well
architectured solution.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen