Subject: Re: 4.3BSD/Ultrix binary emulation
To: A. Wik <aw@aw.gs>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/11/2006 14:23:29
A. Wik wrote:
> After many hours of find-ing, grepping and cross-referencing, I
> finally managed to untangle the NetBSD kernel source tree labyrinth
> sufficiently to find the problem preventing the execution of legacy
> binaries, and even to implement a dirty hack.  A quick demonstation,
> complete with copious debugging output:

Nice work. That should definitely get back into the main branch.

> Regarding the 4K vs 1K page size issue, what's that all about?
> Only the option of 512-byte pages is mentioned in any of my VAX
> literature (e.g. the Architecture Handbook and "Computer Programming
> and Architecture - the VAX" by Levy & Eckhouse).

:-)
All VAXen only have 512 byte pages. This granularity is a bit fine for
most peoples taste, and it also makes for big data structures in Unix. I
think it was 1K already with Ultrix, but anyway, it's been 1K for a long
time. A few years ago Ragge (I think it was) decided that it would be
even better with 4K pages, so it was bumped.
This is implemented by actually having 8 512-byte pages per page. That
means that when you need to change a pte, you actually end up modifying
8 ptes, and so on...

	Johnny