Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Parson <mparson@bl.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2006 19:31:39
On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 06:52:20PM -0500, Kevin Ogden wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Gregg C Levine wrote:
>
>> And I agree regarding Linux and networking and XKernel. I do know
>> that Tux got networking around the 2.xx kernel, but it was decidedly
>> primitive. Ethernet arrived around the time of the middle kernels,
>> but don't hold me to that.
>
> I'm not trying to be a Linux fanboy but I was running an old version
> of Slackware with kernel version 1.2.11 with full TCP/IP support (with
> a 3COM 3c503 ethernet card) and X-Windows (w/ OpenLook and DOOM even)
> on a 486/33.  Linux has had networking for quite a while though it's
> wasn't near as robust as BSD at the time.  Shortly after getting sick
> of Linux and PC's in general I installed NetBSD 1.2 on a Mac IIci and
> started playing with BSD (A/UX was too pricey and IMHO not as nice of
> an OS as NetBSD).

Same disclaimer, not trying to be a fanboy, or trying to out old anyone
here, I know I'd lose, but I had Linux .96 kernel on a 486-33 with
ethernet using an ISA ne2000 card back in '95 or so, a friend of mine
was doing dial-up slip before that (the one that introduced me to
Linux).

My first NetBSD was 1.0 on an Amiga, shortly after went with 1.1 on a
PPro 200 at work.  I loved how I could get some random package patched,
ported and compiled on the ppro then tar up that source tree and it
would usually just compile on my Amiga.

(just to keep this semi on-topic) My VAX was still running OpenVMS,
university system, that was the main box for all time-sharing on campus,
they wouldn't let me install a BSD on it. :-/ I still want to get a
system like that for myself some day, a nice MicroVAX 3800 or 4000 (one
of the pedastal cased systems).

--
Michael Parson
mparson@bl.org