Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Kevin Ogden <ogdenk@expressautoservice.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2006 18:52:20
On Mar 8, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> And I agree regarding Linux and networking and XKernel. I do know that
> Tux got networking around the 2.xx kernel, but it was decidedly
> primitive. Ethernet arrived around the time of the middle kernels, but
> don't hold me to that.

I'm not trying to be a Linux fanboy but I was running an old version of
Slackware with kernel version 1.2.11 with full TCP/IP support (with a
3COM 3c503 ethernet card) and X-Windows (w/ OpenLook and DOOM even) on
a 486/33.  Linux has had networking for quite a while though it's
wasn't near as robust as BSD at the time.  Shortly after getting sick
of Linux and PC's in general I installed NetBSD 1.2 on a Mac IIci and
started playing with BSD (A/UX was too pricey and IMHO not as nice of
an OS as NetBSD).

--Kevin D. Ogden