Subject: Re: 4000/96 with 3.0 vs. ftp; also simh vs. NetBSD
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Hans Rosenfeld <rosenfeld@grumpf.hope-2000.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2006 23:13:18
Moin,

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 10:29:40PM -0800, Roger Ivie wrote:
> Things were going well until I tried to FTP something FROM the VAX.
> An attempt to fetch a file from the VAX using FTP stalls after 2K to
> 64K have been transferred. This occurs whether the VAX is acting as the
> FTP server or the client.
>
> I normally use the machine over the net via telnet and have not noticed
> network trouble that affecting telnet.
>
> I am able to fetch files from the VAX using KERMIT over telnet.
> Transfers using KERMIT over telnet are quick, so it does not appear to
> be a general network issue.
>
> The VAX is connected via thinwire to a 10 megabit hub which connects via
> twisted pair to my router, which connects to my PC (also running NetBSD
> 3.0) via 100 megabit twisted pair. However, the problem is also seen by
> a Macintosh (running MacOS X; it's one of those troublesome beige G3s
> that have never been able to reliably boot NetBSD) attached to the 10
> megabit hub, so it does not appear to be a network problem involving the
> 10/100 transition at the router.

I did some research into that issue since my 4k90 showed the same
strange behaviour after going from 2.1 to 3.0:

Pinging other machines with a packet size of 4067 or less works, 4068 or
more does not.

Sniffing the packets generated by ping -s 4068 shows that the packet (that
is, the 3rd fragment) contains random data beginning at byte offset 3280
(at one time it contained /etc/man.conf, this was after I looked at the
ping manpage).

This problem seems to be related to the SGEC hardware, on machines with
Lance ethernet or DELQA (it was actually a virtual DELQA simulated by
simh since my QBus VAXen were not available) everything worked as expected.

The problem does not exist in the 2.1 installation kernel.

Any ideas where to look?

 - Hans Rosenfeld

--
%SYSTEM-F-ANARCHISM, The operating system has been overthrown