Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/08/2006 11:24:20
--reI/iBAAp9kzkmX4

On Wed, 2006-03-08 09:44:19 +0100, Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se> wrot=
e:
> The only difference from a VXT2000 that I can discern here is that these=
=20
> are based on Unix, while the VXT2000 (and 1200) were based on some DEC=20
> inhouse OS. Otherwise it sounds exactly the same.
> I can't remember if any of the VXT terminals were net-booted. They might=
=20
> have been. Others had the system in flash (I think it is).

At least the VXT2000+ doesn't have enough flash to hold the X
firmware. I do have such a machine, they're booted off the network.
(Even nowadays, they smoothly can use eg. a modern *BSD or Linux box
as a server.)

As they're VAX based, I tried to bring the Linux port onto my box. It
loads, but isn't really functional since there's currently no
(working) SGEC network driver.

> The VXT terminals had a VAX cpu. They might have been running VAXELN,=20
> but I'm not sure. Anyway, they booted their OS, and you got your=20
> X-terminal, from which you could start XDM connections to other=20
> machines. It also had a terminal program, within which you could start=20
> telnet sessions, LAT sessions, CTERM sessions, or speak on the actual=20
> serial port.

The latter is the best feature of those: you can use them as serial
terminals, too.  They can even run a printer to hard-copy the
stream:-)

MfG, JBG

--=20
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             =
_ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  =
_ _ O
 f=C3=BCr einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=C3=BCrger"  | im Internet! |   i=
m Irak!   O O O
ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA)=
);

--reI/iBAAp9kzkmX4

--reI/iBAAp9kzkmX4--