Subject: Problem compiling irssi
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Jim MacKenzie <jim@photojim.ca>
List: port-vax
Date: 03/06/2006 12:08:59
I installed NetBSD 3.0 on a VAXStation 4000-60 over the weekend (thanks to
all of you who gave me advice).  It has 16 MB of RAM (until I can find some
more at least) and I made a 32 MB swap partition.  Currently the machine is
network booting but I have a half-gig drive on the local scsi bus.  Swap is
on the local drive.

I installed pkgsrc and was trying to compile irssi 0.8.10nb1 since I
couldn't find a precompiled package anywhere.  Some of the dependencies like
perl compile fine, but I get consistent segfaults when glib is compiling.
Nothing is in the error log and I don't know enough about how to use db> to
figure out anything.

Is this a known problem?  Could it be evidence of a hardware problem?  The
machine was compiling for 15 hours straight when it crashed this morning.
Rebooting and resuming resulted in a crash at the exact same place.  I'm
inclined to think that it's a software issue and not a hardware one.

Jim