Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Kevin Ogden <ogdenk@expressautoservice.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/26/2006 01:17:02
Amen.  I still prefer NetBSD over the others (FreeBSD, OpenBSD, etc)
but it's certainly not as light as it used to be.  It's a little
piggish lately for daily use on my VS3100 m30 so I've reverted to
Ultrix as 4.3BSD won't run on these machines.  I wish I had some Y2K
patches for Ultrix 4.4 though, support for larger disk partitions would
be nice as well.

NetBSD 1.4L was fairly zippy on this machine though and I might go back
to running it but NetBSD 2.1 was a dog and dig an awful lot of disk
thrashing, haven't tried 3 yet though.

I kinda miss the days of NetBSD 1.2 on my Mac II CI.  1.2 was really
lightweight, didn't support the VS3100 though.

I'm not B!tc*ing, I'm sure NetBSD 3 runs quite well on the faster,
beefier vax machines with more than 32MB of RAM.

--Kevin D. Ogden