Subject: Re: current port-vax status
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Chuck McManis <cmcmanis@mcmanis.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/25/2006 21:36:52
I've not completely vanished either. My "House of VAX" pages still get hit
pretty regularly on my web site. Generally I've become a bit disappointed
in NetBSD in general (perhaps in all of the *BSDs) in that the lean/mean
operating system that had just as much as you needed but not too much seems
to have been lost in a world where a PC with 256MB of main memory is
considered practically an embedded system. The VAX has always represented
for me the ultimate CISC machine, something that ran a multi-user operating
system in less bytes than any thing else. I love having 32 terminals hooked
up to a MicroVAX II and it isn't really even breaking a sweat.

That isn't NetBSD's charter, I understand that. Maybe 4.3 Tahoe is the best
thing you can run on the machine these days.

--Chuck