Subject: Re: Error cross-compiling lib/libc/rpc/svc_vc.c
To: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
From: James Chacon <jmc@NetBSD.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/12/2005 13:32:47
On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 05:48:53PM -0500, Dave McGuire wrote:
> On Dec 10, 2005, at 5:36 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >I suspect before long, the VAX won't even be supported any more. It's
> >been several years since you last could run build.sh from start to
> >finish on a native build on a VAX. And all the new stuff they keep
> >adding just means it's getting slower and slower, for almost no return
> >(in my view). Building on a VAX 8650 now takes over a week for just
> >/usr/src.

I'd be interested to pinpoint examples here. I'll almost bet that's the
compiler getting slower. It's been fairly well documented that as gcc goes
up in versions the slower it gets.

Otherwise vax has built from build.sh (cross mind you since I don't often
build native) on every release we've ever done in recent memory and will
on 3.0 as well. Just because it's broke on -current "right now" doesn't
equate to "over a year"...

James