Subject: Re: Install document out of date
To: port-vax@NetBSD. org <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 11/22/2005 01:09:03
On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 08:43:55AM +0000, Mark Wickens wrote:
> > First there is no /packages/2.1/vax/All directory. Second there are
> > certainly fewer packages for the VAX platform than for others. I
> > miss Perl and Bash especially. When I learn a little more, perhaps
> > I'll be able to make packages for them.

looks like there aren't any binary packages available under 2.1 for
anything but alpha at the moment.  (!)  it's quite possible there's
nobody doing bulkbuilds for VAX either on real hardware or emulation.
there latest are packages for 1.6.2 in /pub/NetBSD/packages/1.6.2/vax .

> I would have thought that it should be pretty easy to get bash going
> again on a Vax. A pretty serious ommission in my book. What is the
> default shell?

either /bin/sh, /bin/csh, or /bin/ksh.  if you want bash or zsh or tcsh
it's off to pkgsrc you go.

              "silly brewer, saaz are for pils!"  --  virt