Subject: RE: Installation
To: David Coolbear <david@thecoolbears.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: port-vax
Date: 05/06/2005 11:15:27
On Thu, 5 May 2005, David Coolbear wrote:

> System is:
> 	BA123
> 	KA650 CPU
> 	24 MB of Memory
> 	WQSED MSCP ESDI Controller
> 	DEQNA
> 	TQK50/TK50
>
> I loaded the NetBSD 2.0.2 boot.fs on a TK50 (using a PDP-11/83). I put
> the tape in the VAX, power up, type
>
> B MUA0. The VAX says:
>
> >> NetBSD/vax boot [1.11 Wed March 23 02:35:42 UTC 2005] <<
> >> Press any key to abort autoboot 0
> >

> That's it. I can't go any further. I read one document that says you are
> supposed to do B/3 MUA0, but that didn't have any effect.

So obviously the boot program was loaded from the TK50, and then nothing.
B/3 makes no difference here. It just sets some flags that will be passed
on to the OS, which you never get to.
Are you sure nothing happens, by the way? TK50 are unbelieveable slow.
Check for action on the tape, not if something is happening at the
terminal.

Having said that, I think that booting from TK50 don't work (someone will
correct me if I'm wrong). The only sensible option is netbooting and doing
the install that way.

Um, and doing a small additional reading now, I see that you boot.fs on
the tape. I wonder if that's enough...? Don't you need a few more files on
the tape...?

	Johnny