Subject: Re: RE: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/29/2005 15:48:48
[ On Thursday, April 28, 2005 at 21:29:01 (-0400), der Mouse wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: RE: VERY slow ssh logins to uVAX
>
> I'm looking at ssh to see if there isn't some way to speed it up for
> cases like this, where the admins on both ends of the connection are
> (a) trusted by everyone involved and (b) interested in doing so -
> certainly for cases like single-user house LAN use.

Why are you bothering to use SSH over a trusted LAN?  K.I.S.S. and use
something like RSH!

As for speeding up SSH, the best way to do that is to not use horribly
inefficient floating point code to do your crypto -- and the easiest way
to avoid that inefficient code is to use security/ssh2.  This makes SSH
fast enough to use on a Sparc-2, so it should help on a lot on VAX as well.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>