Subject: Re: VS 3100 SPX (SPGFX) testers wanted
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/25/2005 22:34:04
Hello,

> I have a MicroVAX-II that came my way with some two-board framebuffer;
> I think it's a QDSS or QVSS, but am not sure.  When I get home tonight
> I should be able to dig it out and check (I pulled those boards and put
> them aside in antistatic protection, pending a reason to use them).

Heh, 2 out of a dozen :-) Apparently there are more of these odd beasts
out there than I ever thought. "Dumb" framebuffer support should be
trivial to add for *any* Vax framebuuffer, I can provide pointers if
needed.

> I don't think I have a DEC monitor for it, though.  How possible is it
> to cobble up something to use it with a "modern" multisync peecee tube?
> (I suppose I should wait to ask this until I can say what kind of
> framebuffer it really is....)

It definitely should - my old CRT is Philips 4088 or something like that
(aka Brilliance 17T, with BNC inputs). It displays LCSPX and LCG video
without problems even though it's outside its specified sync range.
Ditto for (handcrafted) 1024x864 mode which I experimented with using
XFree86 (craftng my own modeline that used identical timings as
Trubochannel CFB). If you have a good quality CRT with suuitable inputs
that can do sync on green it should Just Work(tm). It might need some
fiddling with image settings but that's all there is to it.

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!