Subject: Re: VS 3100 SPX (SPGFX) testers wanted
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/25/2005 15:30:43
Hello,

> I had a snapshot of your code which you posted to this list, I got it
> running on my VLC but then the hard drive died. I've been holding off
> installing NetBSD on a new drive, hoping that 2.0 would be released with
> your driver. Judging by your recent message it still hasn't made it in,
> which is a real shame - I know Vaxen are obsolete but I still getting a
> lot of fun from running NetBSD on one.

Thing with LCG is that while it's very efficient (considering that it's
just a FPGA implementation, not a "real" dedicated processor) it's also
somewhat unsafe to use for potentionally malicious applications. Kernel
can operate it safely because users cannot alter the kernel. User-level
applications with access to LCG could hang the machine immediately
however which is why I wanted to add an ioctl-like interface to kernel
driver (which would provide basic rasterops functionality to all wscons
applications, X server for example); but after I got a machine with
LCSPX I totally steered away from LCG and left it to others (Michael L.
Hitch).

Driver is 99% complete as far as console operation is concerned, all
that needs to be done is to add 4 plane font rendering handling (icky
stuff but hardly relevant for most of LCG users since vast majority of
LCGs seems to be 8 plane - Michael is the only one who reported that he
has a 4 plane model handy) and HW cursor handling - and this is trivial,
it's just a matter of copying some code from LCSPX driver (= rendering
of cursor sprite for different wsfont sizes) and to change cursor sprite
update and blink procedures (LCG has cursor sprite located in its
hardware while LCSPX uses BT459 HW cursor; LCG doesn't seem to have
cursor blink capability so it has to be switched on and off by periodic
interrupt like lcg.c software cursor is right now while BT459 has
internal clock and divisor for cursor blinking).

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!