Subject: VS 3100 SPX (SPGFX) testers wanted
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/25/2005 10:21:47
Hello,

Thanks to our buddy at Linux/Vax I've started working on SPX ROM
yesterday. It seems that there are practically no functional differences
between SPX (for which no driver exists yet) and LCSPX (for which
accelerated console driver exists). Now I'm looking for people with
Vaxstation 3100 machines with SPX graophics (probably reported as
"SPGFX" by system) and NetBSD running on it to test my findings.

So if you have Vaxstation with SPX graphics (= that is NOT one of VS
4000 machines) and are willing to build few kernels and runs them please
contact me directly off the list. I don't own a 3100 so I'm doing this
for your own good - accelerated driver should be roughly 10-100 times
faster in console mode than "dumb" framebuffer driver even if one
existed (but there is no driver for SPX out there anyway just yet).

On a side note: could one of the powers that be in NetBSD/Vax world
please move their ass and speak up - i would *really* like to see these
drivers included in the source tree but have no idea how to go about it.
NetBSD/Vax has been stagnating for years now, it's about time that old
hardware is supported better.; it's not like Vax hardware is evolving
and we couldn't catch up with rapid changes ;-)

Also, Ragge is too busy to even get around to fixing the keyboard
interrupt detection problem on VS 4000/90 and nobody else (myself
included) seems to have a clue how to go about it - if anybody does
please speak up as well.

Oh and the really really last OT thing: if anybody happens to have a
spare SPXgt and/or SPXg board for Vaxstation 4000/60/90 and feels like
parting with it, I'll gladly take it off your hands :-) When I'm done
with VS 3100 SPX these will be the only unsupported boards (well, these
and VS 2000 GPX but that's both slow and rare) used in most common
Vaxstations.

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!