Subject: Re: netbooot/boot broken?
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: seg <andreas@bunten.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 04/07/2005 19:57:32

Johnny Billquist kindly replied:

(...)
>>I'm trying to boot netbsd on a VAXstation 2000 over the network.
>>I read the install and netboot pages and followed the instructions
>>but got stuck.
>>
>>The vax sends a mop request, loads the file from the mopd, and then
>>just repeats this after a few seconds.
>>
>>Since there was not a single additional packet on the network besides
>>the repeating requests & file-loads I suspected the boot-file to be
>>the problem. I used this one (and the versions from netbsd 1.6 / 1.62):
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-2.0/vax/installation/netboot/boot
>>
>>The file utility claims this to be an ELF binary, which I found rather odd.
>>Feeding the vax a similar(?) binary (which is not ELF) from openbsd leads to
>>its execution and I see RARP & RPC requests on the wire:
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.openbsd.org/pub/OpenBSD/3.6/vax/boot.mop
>>
>>Am I being very stupid and using the wrong file? Did somebody use the first
>>mentioned (netbsd 2.0) boot-file and it executed properly?
>
> I think the problem is that the MOP loader don't really feed ELF images
> correctly across the net, and thus you're not getting a good boot image to
> your vax.

Hello Johnny,

that's something I didn't think of. The mopchk command does
not give me any output on any image and I can't think of any
other to test this right now ... ?

On another suggestion I was trying boot.mop from netbsd 1.5.2
and 1.4.1. Both are not ELF and look roughly like the openbsd
one judging from the hexdump. Unfortunately they produced the
same effect as the other netbsd boot-files.

> It should be telling you something on the screen, or serial console?

Ok. It's a mono display unit (see below) and I guess I get
some stats by issuing "T 50":

|KA410-B V2.3
|ID 08-00-2B-0C-0C-0B
|
|   MONO        0000.0001
| ? CLK         0000.0005
|   NVR         0000.0001
|   DZ          0000.0001
|      00000001 00000001 00000001 00000001 00000001 000012A0
| ? MEM         0006.0081
|      00400000 00000004
|   MM          0001.0001
|   FP          0001.0001
|   IT          0001.0001
|   HDC         7710.0001
|      0004C437 00000000 00000000
| ? TPC         0000.4001
|      FFFFFF03 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05 FFFFFF05
FFFFFF05
|   SYS         0000.0001
|?? NI          0000.7004  V1.3

I do not understand most of it. Does the ? and ?? hint
towards problems? Is the MEM entry inconsistent (4 or 6 MB)?

The command "b esa0" results in the screen being blanked
and the message "_83 BOOT SYS" appears. After a few
seconds "-DUA0" is written (trying mop via thick
ethernet?) and shortly afterwads "-ESA0" (thin ethernet
this time? this is where my server islistening ...)
appears and the image is loaded. Imediately afterwards
the screen is blanked and "_83 BOOT SYS" appears again :-/

TIA,
andreas