Subject: Re: Next step: Now I need some DEC MMJ patch cords, plus misc.
To: None <port-vax@netbsd.org>
From: M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 02/24/2005 19:05:05
At 1:02 PM -0500 2/24/2005, Gregg C Levine wrote:

>Hello from Gregg C Levine
>Thanks for helping me find that information regarding how to wire an
>adapter for a DEC MMJ cord set to RS232 connectors. Now I need to find
>a place that sells DEC MMJ patch cords at reasonable prices in the US,
>preferably in the NYC area. Also the connector that they plug into.

     The plastic MMJ connectors are a current item in many parts
catalogs, such as Parts Direct and Specialized Products. As far as a
walk-in store near NYC, Electronic City in New Hyde Park, Long Island
has them at the back counter.
     The plug is simply crimped onto a flat telephone wire (6
connector), just as you would do with an RJ-11 or RJ-45. Some of the
better (ratchet type) crimper kits come with a set of dies that
include MMJ. Cheap, simple crimpers have a 'one size fits all' hole
that will work surprisingly well, if you proceed slowly and
cautiously.

>The wiring guide that website produced talked about only how to wire a
>DEC MMJ socket to a DB9 or DB25 connector, not my problem, wiring a
>plug to those connectors.

     Print it out, take it to Electronic City and have them make up
some cables while you wait.

--
M J Dowden <mjdowden@panix.com>
PGP key: <http://www.panix.com/~mjdowden/keys.shtml>