Subject: NetBSD/vax 2.0 X woes
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/27/2005 14:47:05
Hello,

Since i haven't heard from Michael in a while i figured i'd go about
getting X server working on LCG and LCSPX with acceleration myself. In
order to do so i figured i'd need a working userland, and what better
way to test it than by using remote X server ? Anyway, i set things up
exactly the same way i did in 1.6.1 (compiled icewm, got me a pretty
theme, altered xdm-config and Xaccess accordingly and had xdm start on
bootup) but nothting seems to work.

My changes:
- I changed Xservers symbiolic link to point at Xservers.fs file
(because that box has no local display)
- i allows all hosts access (*) and all hosts to get chooser (*
broadcast CHOOSER) in Xaccess
- i altered xdm-config to require authorization only on local display
(._0. instead of *), commented out the bottom line (to allow xdm to
listen for requests) and disabled authComplain (tried both true and
false, neither worked)

I'm getting all sorts of weird messages, from Xlib complaining that
"Xlib: client uses different protocol version (11) than server (0)!" to
segfaults (xeyes that comes with binary distribution) to complaints
about program being run as root so message cannot be securely formatted
yadda yadda. I also got some complaints about inet6 when trying out
icewm yesterday (i don't have any boxes with ipv6 enabled, not that Vax
nor any other boxes).

It doesn't matter whether i set DISPLAY variable to remote X server and
run X clients manually (i keep getting same errors as xdm does) or use
xdm.

Is it just me or did somebody break things very badly ? At first i
attributed these problems to my (Windows) X server but an older Linux
server i tried produces same errors in xdm error log file on Vax. Both
of those servers (Windows and Linux ones) work perfectly fine with
another (Linux) box running xdm so i know servers are working fine for
sure and the problem lies in NetBSD/Vax. I assumed i must have broken
something myself, fiddling with 2.0_BETA and all so i updated to 2.0 -
no difference whatsoever. Permissions on certain files (in
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm) seem messed up so i got "Xwilling: Premission
denied" when xdm tried to run Xwilling.

Is that some new kind of "security" ? Prevent root from running xdm
manually ?

Can anybody please confirm that they can get an X client (say xeyes, or
login window that xdm presents) displaying from NetBSD/Vax 2.0 box on
remote X server ? It used to work just fine under 1.6(.1) but doesn't
work anymore on this fresh install. Very few clients (xclock, twm,
xsetroot and perhaps few others) will work with remote DISPLAY setting
and show up but most X clients will fail with abovementioned errors -
and besides i want xdm to work like it did before, not some silly
unamnaged xclock :-)

Blaz Antonic
--
Hi! I'm a signature virus!
Copy me into your signature to help me spread!