Subject: Re: Request Guidance
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Kirk Russell <kirk@ba23.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/16/2005 17:35:47
On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Kirk Russell wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Richard Tomkins wrote:
> >
> >> So I type boot dka0 and the system responds with
> >>
> >> 83 BOOT SYS
> >> -DKA0
> >> ?50 SCB2NDINT, DKA0
> >> 85 RESTART SYS
> >>>>>

> >> Does anyone have any idea what may have gone wrong here?
> >
> > I would guess this is a known issue -- the bootstrap code was not
> > installed on your hard disk:
> > 	http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=28724
> >
> > To work-a-round, I would boot of the CDROM and get to shell prompt to
> > run (I assume) "disklabel -B sd0".  You might have to mount your SCSI
> > disk to get the /usr/mdec file that is required.
>
> Is that still disklabel, or should we use installboot nowadays?

When I use installboot, it says:
	"installboot: Set bootstrap operation failed".
which is why (I would guess) you cannot boot after you do a fresh install
on a "blank" drive.  But disklabel still appears to work, after you
install.

--
Kirk Russell            <kirk@ba23.org>            http://www.ba23.org/
Bridlewood Software Testers Guild                  Ottawa Ontario Canada