Subject: Re: ex/vi: terminal type unknown
To: Rhialto <rhialto@azenomei.knuffel.net>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 01/04/2005 18:21:09
[ On Sunday, January 2, 2005 at 01:53:07 (+0100), Rhialto wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: ex/vi: terminal type unknown
>
> On Sat 01 Jan 2005 at 23:24:26 +0000, rick copeland wrote:
> > I am running version 1.4Y (at least that is what it states at login) on a
> > 3600.  If I log in as root at the console and respond to the "Terminal
> > Type" as ansi, vt100 or unknown (or anything else for that matter) and then
> > try to run vi I get the response "ex/vi: terminal type unknown".  How can I
> > fix this so that I can use vi?
>
> I noticed in the past at some time that the answer you give to that
> question does not "take". So if you set the terminal type 'by hand' it
> will work. set term=vt100 should do it, if root still has csh as its
> shell.

IIRC, the "setenv" command is the only sure way to set an environment
variable in C Shell. (it's been at least a decade since I used csh! :-)

the csh "set" command only sets internal variables and the internal
"term" variable is not necessarily exported automatically to "TERM",
though some magic may be happening behind the scenes.

Of course if you're using a sane shell such as /bin/sh or /bin/ksh then
you need to make sure "export TERM" is run at some point to make the
TERM variable available in the environment.

--
						Greg A. Woods

H:+1 416 218-0098  W:+1 416 489-5852 x122  VE3TCP  RoboHack <woods@robohack.ca>