Subject: Re: Vaxstation Turbochannel
To: Roger Ivie <rivie@ridgenet.net>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/31/2004 14:54:43
On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 01:51:02PM -0800, Roger Ivie wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Nov 2004, Blaz Antonic wrote:
> > Does this mean TC support for these machines is out of the question ?
> > Short of 2nd framebuffer i suppose nobody would want their option
> > crawling at snail's pace.
>
> General purpose TC support for the 4000/60 is out of the question.
> Support for non-DMA devices (serial ports, parallel printer ports, and
> one of DEC's fiber network ring thingies (there were two, DEFZA and
> DEFTA (IIRC); one did DMA, the other didn't) is possible and may even be
> useful.

FDDI support would be nice.

I've got a 4000/60 that I'd love to put on my FDDI ring. Even if it isn't
actually faster than 10base-T it still is a win because it makes my
network simpler ---> more resiliant against failures.

Right now I have to bridge FDDI and Ethernet through an Alpha 164LX that
doesn't come on after the power flickers. A UPS would be nice, but it
doesn't solve the real problem. I've also got a "NetWorth" 10base-T
switch/FDDI bridge that doesn't bridge, seems to use BOOTP for something,
has a weird console port, and doesn't seem to have any docs online
anymore. (If anyone has docs on this I'd appreciate it. NetWorth seems
to have been bought by Compaq sometime ago.)

Sorry, I'm a little behind on my email.
"Oh, I've heard that paradox a couple of times, but there's something
about a cat dying and I hate to think of such things."
  - Dr. Donald Knuth speaking of Schrodinger's cat, December 8, 1999, MIT