Subject: RE: Obtaining CPU serial number from within NetBSD?
To: 'Tillman Hodgson' <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Antonio Carlini <a.carlini@ntlworld.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/2004 21:45:55
> It still feels vaguely suspicious, but at least it's making sense now
;-)

I have to agree with everyone else. The BA46 case was used for the=20
VS4000-9x and the VS4000-60 and the associated expansion box. The
labels can be removed and interchanged quite easily.

If it was sold to you as a -90 on the strength of the case label
then you are right to feel aggrieved, but otherwise it is just
an incorrect label.=20

Although the machines I now have mostly bear the correct label,
many of the machines I have worked with over the years have had
insides that did not match the labels thanks to the usual rounds
of upgrades followed by the occasional scratching around piles
of surplus bits to make up some mogrel machine!

The only ways of being sure what lives inside are either to
look or (as you have done) to note the console's idea of=20
what is going on.

Antonio

--=20

Antonio Carlini arcarlini@iee.org