Subject: Re: Obtaining CPU serial number from within NetBSD?
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/2004 16:03:41
--XgWkusiZDs53F1ax

On Fri, 2004-12-17 08:48:46 -0600, Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
wrote in message <20041217144846.GB66835@seekingfire.com>:
> On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:12:12AM -0800, Blaz Antonic wrote:
> > CPU is identified by SID register (and SID Extension field in ROM). To
> > see SID type
>=20
> I 0000003E 12000003

0x12 =3D 18, so this is a Mariah CPU (as
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/linux-vax/kernel-2.5/include/asm-vax/=
vaxcpu.h?rev=3D1.6&view=3Dauto
tells). The m90 is IIRC a NVAX implementation, so your box is a wrongly
labeled 4000m60.

> > and to see SIDex type
> > But the result will be same (=3D whatever POST says is in your box) so
> > this is just a waster of time.
>=20
> P 20040004 04010002
>=20
> I'm not sure what these two results mean :-)

You've got a KA46, not a KA49.

> CPU KA46
> ZZF HF000053
> Series BA46A
> Model VS46K-EA
> SN AB344101EKJ

This information looks consistent with the KA46 Mariah CPU in the case,
so it's probably authentic.

> Hmmm ... is the SN on this sticker what the DECUS Hobbyist groups refer
> to as the "CPU Serial Number"?

It is.

> >=20
> > will again print out the KAxx line, as well as the rest of components.
>=20
> KA46-A V1.3-387-V4.1
> 08-00-2B-3A-0C-D4
> 16MB

Looks okay. The ROM identified the machine as a KA46, as will do NetBSD
and Linux.

> So everything except the front case sticker claims that it's a KA46.

/me too :)

> Is there any chance that the case is non-original? Or is it more likely
> that since the 90 and the 60 used the same case design that the sticker
> on the front is just a generic sticker?

I guess that this sticker was just wrongly attached...

MfG, JBG

--=20
Jan-Benedict Glaw       jbglaw@lug-owl.de    . +49-172-7608481             =
_ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in  einem Freien Kopf    | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg  =
_ _ O
 fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=C3=BCrger" | im Internet! |   im Ira=
k!   O O O
ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TCPA)=
);

--XgWkusiZDs53F1ax

--XgWkusiZDs53F1ax--