Subject: Re: Obtaining CPU serial number from within NetBSD?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/17/2004 08:48:46
On Fri, Dec 17, 2004 at 11:12:12AM -0800, Blaz Antonic wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > My case claims to be a 4000/90, yet my CPU is a KA46. Looking through
>
> At power-up the POST routine will display CPU type (KA46 or KA49 in your
> case) at the top of the screen. What does it say ?

That says KA46, as does NetBSD.

I've been 99% sure that I have a /60 for a few months now, but I've
always been suspicious that the case is non-original.

> CPU is identified by SID register (and SID Extension field in ROM). To
> see SID type

I 0000003E 12000003

> and to see SIDex type
> But the result will be same (= whatever POST says is in your box) so
> this is just a waster of time.

P 20040004 04010002

I'm not sure what these two results mean :-)

> > I have thought that the /90s were KA49 CPUs, and the /60s were the KA46.
>
> You are correct.

Ok, good :-)

> > Oddly, the case also claims that it's a serious BA46A ... that doesn't
> > seem to fit with the 4000/90 sticker. Is there maybe a piece of Vax
> > history that I don't know that would explain this? It's a mystery that
> > I'd love to solve.
>
> BA46 is enclosure type. BA46A is the "standard" (horizontal) and "B"
> variant has small leggs added to it for vertical positioning. Both
> 4000/60 and 4000/9x came in BA46 enclosure, BA46 doesn't mean it must be
> KA46 inside (and there is no "BA49" for 4000/90, same BA46 is used).
> Read what POST says, if it's KA46 then you've got KA46, if it's KA49
> then you've got KA49, it doesn't get any simpler than that.

That bit of information was very helpful, thanks!

On the front of case the little sticker says 4000/90.  On the back it
has the following information (reading from my scribbled note since the
box is at home, so 5 might really be S, etc):

CPU KA46
ZZF HF000053
Series BA46A
Model VS46K-EA
SN AB344101EKJ

Hmmm ... is the SN on this sticker what the DECUS Hobbyist groups refer
to as the "CPU Serial Number"?

> will again print out the KAxx line, as well as the rest of components.

KA46-A V1.3-387-V4.1
08-00-2B-3A-0C-D4
16MB

DEVNBR    DEVNAM           INFO
------    --------    --------------------------
     1         NVR    OK
     2         LCG    OK
                       HR - 8 PLN FB - V1.2
     3          DZ    OK
     4       CACHE    OK
     5         MEM    OK
                      16MB = SY=8MB, S0/1=8MB, S2/3=0MB, S4/5=0MB
     6         FPU    OK
     7          IT    OK
     8         SYS    OK
     9          NI    OK
    10        SCSI    OK
                      0-L0-RZ25    1-L0-RZ25    5-L0-TZK10   6-INITR
    11         AUD    OK

(Yeah, I could desperately use some more RAM. Actually, a fully stuffed
 4000/90 would be nice, but I got this box for a *slurpee* so I'm not
 complaining).

So everything except the front case sticker claims that it's a KA46.
Is there any chance that the case is non-original? Or is it more likely
that since the 90 and the 60 used the same case design that the sticker
on the front is just a generic sticker?

> If you have 4000/60 you'll probably have LCG graphics (unless it's been
> replaced) and on 4000/90 you'd have LCSPX. Another difference is the
> audio device POST, on 4000/60 it is shorter (only emits three tones
> IIRC) and on 4000/90 it's about twice as long, first emitting  same
> three or four tones and then a prolonged beep.

Great info! I do indeed hear only the 3 short notes.

-T

 nothing."
    -- Edmund Burke, attributed