Subject: RE: Battery backed clock replacement
To: 'John Klos' <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Antonio Carlini <a.carlini@ntlworld.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 12/02/2004 18:15:02
> After a short "CRPT - Reenter bit clr" scare, I decided to=20
> look at the=20
> battery backed clocks in my two 4000/60 machines. Both were=20
> made in 1991.=20
> I am considering replacing them; does anyone know how the VAX=20
> will react=20
> to having a completely new, blank chip? Is there any backup / restore=20
> proceedure, or can I assume that i can put in a new one, and=20
> the VAX will=20
> just reprogram it without any issues?

No real idea. However, it must have been a pain in
manufacturing to either preprogram the clocks or
to have to do "something special" to make them work.

I know that on those workstations that ran both Ultrix
and VMS, the format of the data stored there was different
so the time skewed somehow when changing from one to the
other.

So my *guess* is that the first request would either have
been to make it sort itself out if it ever saw "corrupt"
data OR to provide a TEST command to fix it.

The manuals are on the net somewhere. If nothing else, they
should allow you to find out the location of the NVRAM so
you can dump it (I think it is all in the one chip).

Antonio

--=20

Antonio Carlini arcarlini@iee.org

 =20