Subject: Re: [ot] Netbooting VMS Install
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl@mpl.ucsd.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 09/27/2004 10:24:51
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 17:38:01 -0700
> From: Blaz Antonic <blaz.antonic@siol.net>
> To: port-vax@NetBSD.org
> Subject: Re: [ot] Netbooting VMS Install
>
> Hello,
>
> > Not possible.  Linux doesn't speak the required protocols to make VMS
> > access the remote CD.
>
> My apologies for resurrecting dead thread but i ran into similar
> situation today: i got me VMS 7.3 media, plugged in external Yamaha CRW
> 8424 (jumper set block size to 512 rather than 2048) and did

> as suggested in installation manual; machine barfs with something along
> the lines of
>
> %VMB-F-ERR PC = 00001350
> %VMB-I-STS R0 = 00000810
> (could be wrong on second line since i'm typing from memory but first
> one is correct for sure)
>
> So i was wondering what exactly that BACKUP thing does with VMS073.B
> during installation anyway - i can get the file off the installation
> medium (using vmscd) but i don't know what to do with it. I guess this
> BACKUP is just some kind of equivalent of tar ? Whatever magic BACKUP
> does with that file is apparently all it takes to get VMS to boot from
> HD (according to installation book), i guess it would recognize the CD
> afterwards but just might not want to boot VMS from it because it
> doesn't identify itself as DEC gear.
>
> FWIW, CD drive works like a charm under NetBSD (2.0_beta). I don't have
> any other bootable Vax CD medium here so i can't verify whether it's VMS
> that doesn't like my CD drive or it's my machine that is being picky and
> won't boot off of it no matter what i feed it. I thought about burning
> me an old copy of NetBSD but IIRC both 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 ISOs are broken
> (and 1.5.x are unsafe and the rest are ... ancient and out of sync with
> reality).

When faced with a similar problem a year or two ago (installing VMS 7.2
on a 4000VLC), I ended up making an image copy of the CD onto a 1GB
DEC hard drive, using dd(1) on a Solaris system.  Then I rearranged
the cables and SCSI ID's and was able to boot the VMS installation
from that hard drive, as an external drive on the 4000VLC.

    carl
--
    carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
                                                 clowenst@ucsd.edu