Subject: Re: Accelerated LCSPX driver
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/20/2004 21:03:14

--0-531533969-1093057394=:5991

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004, Blaz Antonic wrote:

> > Unfortunately I just got a blank screen almost as if it didn't think the
> > lcspx was the main console. Also the keyboard was beeping and bleeping
> > like mad so I guess that's where the console output went :(
>
> Yep, this has been discussed before (about 3 months ago) here, it's
> console output being sent into keyboard. IIRC it had something to do
> with keyboard port being set incorrectly or something like that - either
> way, it was not a bug in framebuffer driver.

  Ah, but it is a bug in the framebuffer driver.

> Michael, do you have this fixed already on your side ? You're testing
> stuff with glass console rather than serial so i suppose you must have
> resolved this problem. Can you please post a patch so it gets submitted
> in the main tree ?

  The problem with the the graphics console not initializing was fixed
long ago

  The current problem is because the console detection logic in lcspx.c
was changed to check for the diagnostic (serial) console bit that the
4000/60 and 4000/VLC uses, and does not recognize the graphics console
configuration on the 4000/90.  The console device gets initialized to the
serial port connected to the keyboard, and expects the graphics driver to
change it to the wsdisplay device.  Since the lcspx driver did not do
this, all console output goes directly to the keyboard.

  Another bug in the LCSPX driver is that it won't set any color registers
in the RAMDAC.

  The attached patch will fixe these two problems.

  One major problem remains:  attempting to use the graphics console on
the 4000/90 will not work.  It fails to configure the dz device (and thus
the keyboard).  I had noticed this before when I fixed keyboard being used
as the console output, but was never able to track down the problem.  The
LCSPX driver does work when using a serial console though, which is how
I've been able to test it for Blaz.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant

--0-531533969-1093057394=:5991
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--0-531533969-1093057394=:5991--