Subject: Re: awk dumping core on -current snapshot
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Michael L. Hitch <mhitch@lightning.msu.montana.edu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/16/2004 14:12:43
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> (gdb) x/i $pc
> 0x7f786048 <strtod+2498>:       movd r8,r0
>
> Not emodd, it seems.

  I've finally gotten around to replicating this.  According to my Vax
Architecture Reference Manual, the movd instruction can get an "Reserved
Operand" fault.  The descriptions of reserved operand faults shows one
likely candidate:  a floating point number that has the sign bit set and
the exponent zero.  From my recollection of the register contents I saw,
this would be the case.  [I seem to remember seeing R8 containing
0x00008000.]

  So the next question would be should the vax be signaling an illegal
instruction for this, signaling some other condition, or dealing with the
"reserved operand"?.

--
Michael L. Hitch			mhitch@montana.edu
Computer Consultant