Subject: Re: how do use use rabads to repair a ST-225 drive
To: Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/15/2004 13:04:07
On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Stanley Reynolds wrote:

> > while format compatible with the RQDX controllers,
> > uses a higher sector
> > interleave factor which is not required by the
> > RQDX3...so it spends a
> > good bit of time twiddling its thumbs waiting for
> > the right sector to
> > roll around when it could be moving bits.
>
> Yes, but it is more like 80% full speed not that bad
> for a ST-225 which came in two models the -1 a little
> faster but both were slow, RD54 was better. Now too
> low a interleave factor requires a full turn to get
> the next track which is very slow.

I've skipped much of this thread, and have only a limited understanding
about what the original problem was, but if we're talking about a MSCP
drive that have developed bad blocks that you want to map out, there were
utilities in Ultrix to do this, otherwise you have to get the DEC
diagnostics for it. (Unless you have VMS, which will do it on the fly,
without you ever noticing.)

As for diagnostics, if you are on a larger VAXen, you want to run EVRLK,
which is the bad block replacement diagnostic.
On small VAXen, you'll have to find MDM, with the proper stuff included.

	Johnny