Subject: Re: how do use use rabads to repair a ST-225 drive
To: Stanley Reynolds <stanley_reynolds@yahoo.com>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/12/2004 15:15:57
On Aug 12, 2004, at 12:23 PM, Stanley Reynolds wrote:
> I would use a vax2000 or vaxstation 2000 to format the
> drive, think it was "test 70" on the console. This
> would format the drive and take care of the bad
> blocks. I think there was a dec diag to do this with
> the RQDX3 but I always used the 2000 firmware.

   That will work in a pinch, but it will result in lower-than-normal
data transfer rates on the RQDX3.  The VS2000/MV2000's disk controller,
while format compatible with the RQDX controllers, uses a higher sector
interleave factor which is not required by the RQDX3...so it spends a
good bit of time twiddling its thumbs waiting for the right sector to
roll around when it could be moving bits.

           -Dave

--
Dave McGuire             "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL             you pull the zip-tie."       -Nadine Miller