Subject: Re: Problems installing php4 on a VS4000/60
To: Charles H. Dickman <chd_1@nktelco.net>
From: Dave McGuire <mcguire@neurotica.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/07/2004 19:00:04
On Aug 7, 2004, at 6:44 PM, Charles H. Dickman wrote:
> I am trying to get my web pages back on a VAX.
>
> I have been using a VS4000/60 as my web server for a couple of years.
> I botched a changed of disk drives and ended up moving my web server
> to a NetBSD/i386 machine that I use as a disk server.
>
> I want to get my web server back on the VAX.
>
> I made a clean install of 1.6.2 without a hitch. When I try to install
> php4 from the packages, a floating point exception occurred during the
> install of pear. That install is done by a php program. There is a
> core dump, and with gdb the core shows that the exception was in the
> middle of a vax CALLS instruction... All I really know about vax guts
> is what I have read in books... :-(
>
> Has anybody else tried this?
> Could it be a problem with VAX_fp vs IEEE_fp?

   I've not tried this, but I'm very curious about it...I will see if I
can find time to put together a machine to try this here tonight.

> Do I need to abandon the VAX web server for a PC? :-(

   Certainly not.  If you need to abandon the VAX web server, you could
move it to another *server platform*...not a PC.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire             "...it's a matter of how tightly
Cape Coral, FL             you pull the zip-tie."       -Nadine Miller