Subject: Re: VAXStation 4000/90 Hard drive options
To: Mark Wickens <m.wickens@rhodium-consulting.com>
From: Peter Svensson <petersv@psv.nu>
List: port-vax
Date: 08/02/2004 19:00:40
On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Mark Wickens wrote:

> I'd like to know what the maximum drive size is that I can attach to my VAX.
> I've never been given a definitive answer, but many people appear to have had
> success with drives larger than those 'officially' declared supported. I will
> be running OpenVMS.

I think this has been rehashed several times here, so the answers may be
in the archives.

Anyway, the answer is "it depends"; mostly on the bootrom of the machine.
As for vms I think there is a difference between different versions. In
addition, vms requires the drive to have automatic remapping turned off in
the mode pages of the disk. The versions of vms I have tried requiered it
at least.

Peter