Subject: Re: awk dumping core on -current snapshot
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/30/2004 15:49:24
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 01:36:15PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 11:53:45AM -0700, Hugh Graham wrote:
> > Rambling on assuming it is indeed emodd, Brandon did write kernel
> > emulation for it a while back, which has been incorporated into
> > NetBSD. Was your kernel built with NO_INSN_EMULATE defined?
>
> I'm using a base (no X) install with the generic kernel.

And it is indeed not built in GENERIC:

[root@lapislazuli /usr/src/sys/arch/vax/conf]# grep NO_INSN_EMULATE GENERIC
#options        NO_INSN_EMULATE # CPU does not lack some hardware instructions.

I can't fit /usr/src on the Vax, so it looks like I get to figure out
how to do kernel cross-builds from the SGI O2 ;-)

If this emulation is required for some percentage of Vax hardware, would
providing two pre-built GENERIC kernels make sense (like the sgimips
IP22/IP32 situation)?

-T

--
Page xxviii: Live with Unix long enough and you will change. You will
become more creative, and you will come to understand the spirit of