Subject: Re: awk dumping core on -current snapshot
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Hugh Graham <hugh@openbsd.org>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/19/2004 11:53:45
On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 12:05:37PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:
> Howdy folks,
>
> awk is dying on my vax using the June 23/04 snapshot, which makes
> building many of the ports in pkgsrc rather interesting ;-)
>
> Doing variable substitutions on .SH files...
> [1]   Illegal instruction (core dumped) awk "{print \$1}... |
>       Done                    grep "\\.SH\$"
>
> Is this a known problem?

IIRC NetBSD recently switched to nawk, which makes frequent use
of modf(), which on vax is implemented with the emodd instruction.

Unfortunately, most newer vaxes lack this instruction. You can
confirm that with gdb on the core and seeing what instruction
lies under the PC.

Rambling on assuming it is indeed emodd, Brandon did write kernel
emulation for it a while back, which has been incorporated into
NetBSD. Was your kernel built with NO_INSN_EMULATE defined?

/Hugh