Subject: Re: HOWTO: Install to local disk on a netbooted 4000/60?
To: None <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/15/2004 21:00:39
--Q4RbCnAmn9VrkE5p

On Thu, 2004-07-15 15:27:29 +0200, Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
wrote in message <20040715132729.GF2019@lug-owl.de>:
> On Thu, 2004-07-15 14:52:51 +0200, ragge@ludd.luth.se <ragge@ludd.luth.se>
> wrote in message <200407151252.OAA21013@father.ludd.luth.se>:
> > You can try ftp://bakfull.campus.luth.se/netbsd/boot.mop, which is the
> > boot loader that I use to netboot a /90, so it should work :-)
>=20
> This one just works. Thanks!  Now, I'll try to figure out how to
> continue from here:)

Well, I'm a bit deeper in the installation process now. Some program
dumps core right after I entered "vt100" terminal type, but the
installation continued. I entered ftp.netbsd.org's IP address (there
could be a hint) and then figured out which directory is to be used
(there could be a *big* hint on something like
/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.2/vax/binary/sets). I choosed to install the
first few sets (all except the X11 related stuff, there could probably
be another hint on the set's contents...).

But then, is goes down there (this is (seems to me), it tries to install
the base.tgz):

230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
200 Type set to I.
250 CWD command successful.
227 Entering Passive Mode (204,152,184,75,252,92)
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'base.tgz' (17846099 bytes).
gzip: decompression error
pax: End of archive volume 1 reached

ATTENTION! pax archive volume change required.
Ready for archive volume: 2
Input archive name or "." to quit pax.
Archive name >=20

So I'll now try again with the 1.6.1 snapshot. Oh, remind me that, after
the GNU toolchain works for vax-linux, I write a reasonable fdisk
program for NetBSD's installer. Typing in the disklabel table by hand
into a vi isn't really state of the art:) (At least, there should be a
hint that it *is* actually a vi!)

MfG, JBG

--=20
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=FCrger" | im Internet! |   im Ira=
k!
   ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TC=
PA));

--Q4RbCnAmn9VrkE5p

--Q4RbCnAmn9VrkE5p--