Subject: Re: HOWTO: Install to local disk on a netbooted 4000/60?
To: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/10/2004 11:35:56
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:27:54 -0600
Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com> wrote:

> Is there another set of files I can use as my nfsroot to install from
> that handles installation? Where do I get them from? Can I safely use
> a newer version of NetBSD?=20
I sugest to get a 2.0_BETA from ftp://releng.netbsd.org/ and install it
by hand. To do this you need to:
- disklabel the disk
- make file systems
- mount the file systems, preferable with "-o softdep"
- un-tar all the distribution sets
- cd to the dev directory of the new root disk and run "./MAKEDEV all"
- cd to etc, edit fstab and rc.conf
- make sure there is a kernel and the secondary boot loader on the disk
- install primary boot loader with disklabel -B or installboot and
  look at /usr/mdec

Feel free to ask if you need more speciffic instructions.
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen