Subject: HOWTO: Install to local disk on a netbooted 4000/60?
To: None <port-vax@NetBSD.org>
From: Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/09/2004 18:27:54
Howdy,

I've successfully netbooted a VAXstation 4000/60 (a /90 actually, but
dmesg doesn't agree with that). I used NetBSD 1.5.3 because that
appeared to be the only complete set of files I could find on
ftp.netbsd.org, and I saw a few messages in the archives about problems
with 1.6.X.

A quick note: most of the directions for setting up a MOP daemon, as
they apply to FreeBSD, are somewhat old. It's now in the ports tree and
requires no tweaking (I worked with Patrick Caulfield to get it ported a
few months ago (he's the maintainer, I did the much easier work of
handling the FreeBSD ports tree end of things *grin*) when I wanted to
get my DECserver 200 terminal server working).

Another quick note: Having a local DHCP server messes up netbooting
because the boot seems to understand BOOTP, and thus never uses rarp and
bootparamd. I didn't experiment with trying to get it to netboot that
way (which would be much nicer) though.

Anyway, I'd really like to install to local disk. I have 2 RZ25's, which
show up like this:

sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <DEC, RZ25     (C) DEC, 0A00> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 406 MB, 1476 cyl, 9 head, 62 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 832527 sectors
sd1 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <DEC, RZ25     (C) DEC, 0A00> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd1: 406 MB, 1476 cyl, 9 head, 62 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 832527 sectors

I've got a full multi-user netbooting system, and I want to install on
the local disks from here.  However I don't seem to have sysinst in the
nfsroot:

[root@athena /usr/home/vaxnfsroot]# find . -name sysinst\* -print
[root@athena /usr/home/vaxnfsroot]#

Is there another set of files I can use as my nfsroot to install from
that handles installation? Where do I get them from? Can I safely use a
newer version of NetBSD?

Thanks muchly,

-T

--
"It used to be fashionable for a writer to keep a human skull on his
 desk as a reminder that he was mortal, that all about him was vanity.