Subject: Free MVME-147SA for pick-up in San Francisco
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-vax
Date: 07/06/2004 11:42:46
--Apple-Mail-75--836982711

[ I am expanding the original audience of this mail, since some people
have suggested that I do so.  There are "extra goodies" associated with
this MVME-147 system. --thorpej ]

Folks...

I have an MVME-147SA system available for free for pick-up in San
Francisco.  This system was working and running NetBSD/mvme68k in a
diskless configuration the last time I turned it on (about 6 years
ago).  The system board is installed in a Motorola VME card cage with a
transition module on the back (providing serial and Ethernet) and 2
removable SCSI disk carriers.

There are some extra goodies included with this system, so pay close
attention:

- Ciprico RF3400 disk controller.  I believe this is an ESDI
controller.  I do NOT have programming info for this controller.  I do,
however, have a programming manual for a Ciprico RF3510 SCSI
controller, which I will include (possibly useless, but what the heck).

- Ciprico TM3000 9-track tape controller.  I have the programming
manual for this.  It works with any Pertec-compatible 9-track tape
drive.

...here's the gem:

- Pertec "portable" 9-track tape drive.  I don't know the specific
model number -- it's hidden somewhere under the plastic housing, no
doubt.  I *believe* this drive is capable of reading the 3 common
9-track tape densities (though to be honest, I can't even remember what
those are anymore).  Here are some photos:

	http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/pertec1.jpg
	http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/pertec2.jpg

...and here's the reason I have the Pertec in the first place:

- UNIX 32V Time-Sharing System, Version 1.0 on 800bpi 9-track tape.  I
don't know if this tape is still readable, but I have kept it hidden
away in a box, protected from heat, cold, and light for about 10 years
now.  Here are some photos of the tape:

	http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/32v-tape1.jpg
	http://www.shagadelic.org/photos/32v-tape2.jpg

Now, for the terms and conditions:

- I will NOT ship this stuff.  The tape drive is especially heavy (if I
had to guess, I'd say it's 200lbs).

- If you take all the pieces, AND you write a complete driver for the
TM3000, I will buy you a suitable quantity (e.g. 12-pack of a micro,
half-dozen if you want some Belgian corked bottles) of quality beer.
If you also manage to read the contents of the 32V tape, I will also
buy you a nice bottle (or two) of wine.

- There is a dead line.  This stuff is going to the crusher to have the
metals reclaimed on July 17.

- If you don't have a car large enough to haul this stuff away, I might
be able to deliver it to a destination in the San Francisco Bay Area,
if I can arrange help loading the tape drive into my VW Bus (yes, it
really is that heavy).

I would really prefer NOT to have to crush the MVME-147 - it still
works, and is a fine little NetBSD system.  But I need it out of my
garage so I can make progress on a home improvement project.  So,
someone please come and rescue it.

I'll probably not throw away the 32V tape whatever happens to the
stuff.  But without the tape drive, the tape is pretty useless, and
there aren't too many 9-track tape drives around anymore.  So here's
your chance to grab a little bit of computing history... don't miss
out!

--Apple-Mail-75--836982711
	name=PGP.sig
content-transfer-encoding: 7bit