Subject: Re: GCC wants to declare us obsolete!
To: Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.att.net>
From: Jan-Benedict Glaw <jbglaw@lug-owl.de>
List: port-vax
Date: 06/22/2004 07:45:18
--PjRf4PGEIvltrRvu

On Mon, 2004-06-21 18:56:55 -0400, Gregg C Levine <hansolofalcon@worldnet.a=
tt.net>
wrote in message <000901c457e3$0f35e700$6401a8c0@who5>:

> with here. It also turns out I've caused a hew and cry on this subject
> from the perspective of one of the folks on the Linux-VAX list. (To
> which I subscribe.) There I was given mention.

Of course:) From my perspective, it's harder to first let the FSF guys
rip off all VAX bits and then (at some later time) add a VAX target
again. To me, it seems easier to "just" update the target, rather than
submitting it as a new target once again.

However, I think I can't personally do the gcc hacking; I've put most of
the patches we had for 2.95.2 into a (local) gcc-HEAD tree, but I'm
quite stuck with that. I'm missing so much knowledge about gcc... glibc
looks like being (in comparison) quite easy to hack, but that doesn't
help me if I don't have a current GCC to compile glibc with...

We'd maybe have some IRC session to have a discussion about the vax-*
targets.

MfG, JBG

--=20
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier B=FCrger" | im Internet! |   im Ira=
k!
   ret =3D do_actions((curr | FREE_SPEECH) & ~(NEW_COPYRIGHT_LAW | DRM | TC=
PA));

--PjRf4PGEIvltrRvu

--PjRf4PGEIvltrRvu--